MusicGoals allows you to create your own string instrument and tuning. These custom instruments can be studied with any of the string objectives to see, hear, and test notes, scales, chords, intervals, and solfeggio a system of naming scale degrees with singable syllables, do re mi fa so la ti do.
1) Click Main Menu - Pick a Drill (or press F7).
2) Double click Instrument Note Names where instrument is the string instrument that you started with as a new student.
3) Next select Practice Settings - Instrument and Tuning.
4) Select “Custom 1” and click OK.
5) Set the “Number of Strings” to anything from 1 to 11.
6) For each string select the string number on the left and then scroll to a note and octave an interval with the same note names but twelve half steps higher or lower on the right. Select a note to tune each string. If you want a 5 string banjo use the “Reset to 5 String Banjo” button first. Then change the tuning.
7) Click OK. You will have the option of adjusting the portion of the fingerboard.
It is important to remember when creating custom string instruments to make sure the portion of the fingerboard includes all the notes of the chromatic scale a scale using all twelve half steps within the octave from the lowest to the highest pitch. Otherwise, you may be asked in a drill for a note that you cannot play on the fingerboard.
see also: Custom Instruments